Another ancient WIP

Here is another wip I just left sitting in a bin for the past 4 years. I like how this is looking, but I had problems with the next rounds - especially the EPP parts. So I stuck it back in the bin and haven't touched for years.
 Skill Builder BOM 2015 with Alyssa @ Pile 'O Fabric. Here is a link to the class information if you are interested.

I signed up for this online class because it taught so many new to me skills that I was interested in trying my hand at. I was petrified about this center block however, and when I first read the tutorial I was ready to throw in the towel. BAD ATTITUDE - right? So, unlike the project sample, I decided to do my own thing and select a colorway that would work in my home. I was pretty sure that the finished project would not be a quilt I would gift to someone as so much learning was going to be happening.

I was quite surprised at how difficult fabric selection was for me. Usually, I find pulling fabric for a project very easy - not this time. I had too many ideas - color schemes I wanted to try - fabrics I wanted to cut into - I just couldn't make up my mind. I finally decided to use the floral fabric as my lead idea - and I pulled color inspiration from that.

This first block involved so many skills I have never tried - it was really a HUGE learning experience for me. Applique, glue basting, bias tape making, quilt as you go and free motion quilting - this all just in the first block!

I swore I was going to stay on track, and so far I have: BLOCK 1









This is the backing fabric for block one, and the actual block for the front of the quilt. This BOM pattern is a quilt-as-you-go style so I needed to make a decision right away to finish this step.






















I see my FMQ quilting improving. This is my second attempt. I realize now that these green areas look like pea pods - LOL.

I chose to cut into my precious Liberty fabric AND to use my newly acquired Oakshott cottons for this step of the quilt. I am so happy I did - it looks very yummy. Also note: That bias tape being applied is home-made - BY ME.

I will write a separate post on the various process involved in the next few days.


Have a great day!!


Comments

  1. Your block is wonderful! Oakshott is so expensive, but I do love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My that is a beautiful block. The gray applique just sets it off perfectly. I look forward to hearing about the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first block looks great! I am doing the quilt a long too and must admit that my first blog (without bias or quilting) is still hanging out on my design wall. I have found the fabric pulling for this quilt to be very challenging too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Pamela - nothing like diving right into the deep end! I am so impressed! Not only over how great this block turned out, but about how you didn't throw in the towel and went way out of your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those ruby colors! And I love the funky flair this has so far! Great job and huge kudos for doing your own thing with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am working on this as well, How are those hexies coming? I'd love to see an update!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments, please leave yours!

Popular Posts